Tuesday, November 01, 2011

The 36th Marine Corps Marathon (MCM)

Years ago, after reading a full article about Oprah's running of the 1994 edition of this race, I decided that the Marine Corps Marathon was on my bucket list of things to do.

I admit it. Oprah is one of the reasons why I decided to take up running marathons in the first place. Oprah was not a story of an athlete pushing herself to a personal best, but a once seriously overweight middle-aged American woman deciding to have a life makeover. Oprah became us. If Oprah could get up from her couch, lose weight and transform herself - and run a marathon - anyone can! Oprah not only expanded the sport, she lowered the bar for excellence. For a generation of marathoners, the goal had been qualifying for Boston. Now, its just "doing an Oprah". Timing no longer matters. Its finishing the race. The marathon today is no longer a running race. It is a self-improvement exercise for thousands and thousands of people. [For you ultra competitive types, Oprah's time was a very credible 4:29:20 — known as the Oprah Line!]

This was my 11th marathon and the most special. It is the fifth largest in the United States and the ninth largest in the world with about 30000 runners, 21000 finishers. It has a generous cut off at one point only - the minimum required is to complete 20 miles in under 5 hours (or 32km), and a slow average time - ie run by many average people. A prize is given to the last finisher under 7 hours - a gesture to say that in the Marines no one gets left behind.

The Marines turns out thousands of it soldiers, all of them smartly dressed in their khaki fatigues. They spend the day interacting with members of the public - all polite, with smiles and with a unique sense of humour. They are all on their best behaviour. They hand out Gatorade, water, bananas, encourage people with their loudhailers, read out split times as you go by them, and at the finish line, hand out plastic blankets, medals [its a cool medal John!], refreshments, and food. They don't chat with each other but with the public, who today is their primary audience. It is a day when the Marine Corps shows its friendliest face. And because the race is immaculately organised to the finest detail, it works. The Marine Corps wins more friends through this race every year.

For me, the prelude for the race was an amazing race in itself. I landed in New York on Sat morning after 20 hours of travelling to find out that all flights had been cancelled due to the heaviest October snow storm in decades. Snowstorm? In Oct? I was prepared to run in 10 degree weather! A long wait with a chance encounter with a friend at American to get my luggage back, a bus and an Amtrak ride later, I got into DC late at night, just sufficient time to catch a few hours of sleep before turning up at the start point on Sunday morning without acclimatisation - 3 degrees!

But the race itself was beautiful. It had an amazing route, starting next to Arlington cemetary, running right around Washington DC including through Georgetown, past Watergate, the Potomac Park, up the Mall along the Smithsonian Museums, to Capitol Hill, and then back to Crystal City, before finishing off at the Iwo Jima Memorial. The crowd was fantastic. It was as if this was a massive seven hour celebratory parade. Hours after, you could spot the runners all around DC. All wearing the red T shirts handed out to participants. Even though my supporters were not physically present on race day, I know there were plenty in Indonesia. John told me to "pray for rain" and "not to think of water". [John needs to learn that Washington is cold.] Glenn told me to run with the Rocky song in my head. [A marching band actually played it when we reached the Smithsonian!. At the 23 mile I changed the song to LMFAO's Party Rock Anthem. "Everyday I'm shuffling..."] Matthew and Felicia told me to rest well before the race and keep running. Grace, Winny, Erik, Rully, Lisa and Shirley sent me good luck messages just before. Everyone else thought I was a lunatic for flying half way around the world to do this and are waiting for me to bring gifts back. Thanks all!

I owe my participation and a check against my bucket list, to the best Navy Seal USN Captain I know, Alan Oshirak. He was in the Pentagon one day, met some Marine Corps friends, remembered me, asked for a ticket and gave it to me way back in April 11. I would never have been here otherwise. He has the loveliest wife in Kim, two wonderful kids (hi Alex and Kat!) and a wonderful home at the foot of the Shanandoah's. I also owe Jeffrey Lim a significant amount for supporting me on this run, in helping with the logistics weeks before, and especially picking me up at the finish line when I could hardly walk. And thanks Jon Retzlaff, for meeting me at dinner after all these years! Its always great to meet a fellow Sloanie. You raised it, so you have to organise the reunion!

1 Comments:

Blogger Harpal said...

Strong friendships make it happen. You have great, good and long lasting friends..it of course works both ways. Congratulations!

5:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home