Sunday, January 14, 2007

Selo Soemardjan

During the three years I lived in Jakarta, I met many interesting people, people who made a deep impression on me.
None more so that a gentleman by the name of Selo Soemardjan.

I remember that we first met when we were seated next to each other at an official dinner. Although I spoke Bahasa at that time, Selo chose to speak to me in English. I learnt that he was an academic and that he had graduated from Cornell University in the US. He returned to become an academic in the University of Indonesia in the Sociology department. He held various positions, including being Dean, and had continued teaching in the University ever since. He described all the projects that he was planning to do, and the books that he was planning to write. He spoke lucidly, ate heartily and his mind was as sharp as a razor. He was 86 years old.

At the end of dinner, over coffee, I simply had to get it out. I turned to Selo and said, "Bapak, if you don't mind me saying, I think it is simply amazing that you live such an active life even at your age. If I am lucky to reach your age, I wish that I could be half as active as you are. What is your secret?" Selo smiled and said that he has always lived his life with four fundamental beliefs.

Firstly, exercise. He said that when he was young, he would run. At his present age, he satsified himself by spending a whole hour each morning walking with his wife around his estate at Menteng.

Secondly, find peace in 15 min of quiet time a day. He said that he did not care whether you were a Christian, a Muslim or even a free thinker. Pray. Quiet time allows you to search for your priorities.

Thirdly, always have a passion for a cause. This keeps a person going. He told me that he wrote out of passion. During the period that led to the fall of Suharto, he marched on the streets with his students - because he loved his country and believed that the time had come for democracy in Indonesia.

Lastly, always interact with young people. Nothing gave him more joy than to spend time with his young students, listening to their views and their aspirations. He said that the moment you stopped mixing with the young, you became old.

Selo Soemardjan passed away from a heart attack 2 years after we met. The passing of Selo, an Indonesian icon, was widely regarded as a loss to not only Sociology, but the nation of Indonesia. This was written in Kompas, a local newspaper:

"Up to the time of his death, Selo Sumardjan was incredibly active, engaging the younger generation of academics in discussions about the various problems affecting the nation, and pouring out his concern over the condition of the nation state."

Selo was laid to rest in his birthplace and hometown in Yogjakarta. A year after, the Selo Soemardjan Research Centre was established in his honour. May he rest in peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home